February 22, 2012

Book Review

A History of the Peninsular War, Volume II: January to September 1809:  From the Battle of Corunna to the End of the Talavera CampaignA History of the Peninsular War, Volume II: January to September 1809: From the Battle of Corunna to the End of the Talavera Campaign by Charles Oman

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


There isn't really much I can add to the praise I have given to the first volume of this seminal work about Peninsular War. Extremely detailed, meticulously referenced and written in very accessible style - as long as you have a genuine interest in the topic, it is pure pleasure to read Oman's account of this conflict.

If I would choose to nitpick, then my only reservation would be in regard of Oman's almost absolute support of Wellesley's generalship. I would suspect that not everybody will agree with author's undeniably pro-British stand. That is however question of possible differences in opinions between the author and the reader and doesn't take away from the high quality of work in this book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment